Monday 23 May 2011

Part 11 - The Finishing Touches

25/3/11     I gave the underneath of the car some treatment with the water blaster. I was able to put the car up on ramps for the first time. A few worries:- 1. There seems to be a bracket missing between the sump & the gear box & 2. There is a fir bit of rust running down the seam on the RH side where the body meets the chassis which will have to get cleaned up. Gave the underneath a quick coat of black paint. Tried to fit the air cleaner but the bracket will need to be changed. Fitted new exhaust bracket near rear muffler. Re-aligned rear rubber support ring from body to exhaust pipe so that the pipe now sits better.

28/3/11     I used the drill & wire brush to clean up the rust areas on RHS of body seam area. I also used the rust inhibitor & then painted the underbody in black & the outside with Monza Red. KH helped re-align the bonnet so that the catch works & releases it. That took a while to sort out but is now working OK. Also, while at the front I attempted to get the front LH parking light working. It is a very strange arrangement with the parking bulb taped onto the main bulb but I will need to buy a new bulb. Put a small spring on the choke cable to ensure it releases fully. Put the bracket on the air cleaner & fitted it with the new air cleaner that arrived today. KH also straightened the original back bumper & because one set of bolts are OK, I will be able to bolt it on again, I think! Tried to beat out the dent in the back LH corner & then bogged up the areas around the back bumper bolts that were damaged. Unbolted master cylinder so that I can try again to get it fixed.

29/3/11     I took the M/C back to Wynnum with the better plastic top so hopefully, this one doesn’t leak & we can finally have the brakes in order. Rang about tyres & had a set of Khumos (185 x 13) all lined up but they then could only find two & weren’t sure when the others would be available. Many places give you a price but the availability is another issue. So I eventually ordered a set of Wanli (Chinese) from Apache as they can have them tomorrow. Also painted front parcel tray, two interior visors, cleaned wipers & got the hockey sticks ready.

30/3/11    Today was not a very productive day due to the weather, however, the new tyres are on. Apache came good & had them brought in as promised. Attached the clamp for interior mirror to attach to & also put on chrome strip (modified from a Nissan Skyline) along the top of the boot. I have tried to get the washers off the wiper assembly but this is proving very difficult but I really need these.

31/3/11     A good day today with a lot of little things completed. First, I adjusted the hand brake & then I replaced the circlip holding the speedo cable to the gearbox. This is a bugger of a job but when it went in, the speedo actually worked. Put a bit more bog on the back areas ready to paint it. Screwed in interior sun visors & interior door pulls. Went to Wynnum to collect the M/C again & hope it is successful this time. Put it back on & bled the brakes – so far so good, with no leaks. Attached both hockey sticks to the back.

1/4/11       I completed sanding down the back again area & a few other spots ready for touching up. Painted the back areas where the bumper was pulled off & the strips under the bonnet where the guards are attached. Fitted the battery bracket. Fitted the rear bumper & finished the locking piece for the hockey sticks. Touched up various areas under the bonnet, on the doors & the boot that had various yellow parts still showing. Finally removed the washers from the wiper assembly & now ready to put on the car. M/C is leaking again so I removed it so I can take it somewhere else, to my mate at All Brakes.
2/4/11       I took the M/C to Rocklea, where as usual, they were very helpful & showed me the problem & how it can be fixed. He also gave me the rubber grommets to fit in so I will try this on Monday.

4/4/11       I cut & fitted the grommet for M/C & fitted as instructed. It looks OK & then fitted it back onto the car for about the fifth time. I left the fluid in it for a quite awhile & with no leaks evident, I bled the front brakes. I spent quite a deal of the morning polishing & cleaning the exterior. Put on the wheel trims & it is starting to look OK. This afternoon, I fitted the interior sunvisors, the rear grab handles, some pieces to cover the holes in the dash & the missing section of the centre console. I took out the front seat to try & get the slide working. I also bought a nut for the steering column. The washers for the wipers are a problem & with the seat out, I will be able to get out under the dash to hold the spindle in place while I try to push them completely through.
5/4/11      Finally, I got the spindles into the washers but one has a larger socket than the washer, which is going to be a problem.         Fitted the parcel shelf which was not easy as I had to cut part of the RH side off as the fuse panel was in the way again. Finally it went in after cleaning up the wiring around the bonnet release handle. Took for ages to get the ash tray on after I realised the bolt was bent. That is all starting to look good. I tried for ages to get the slide in the seat base to work correctly but could not find why it is catching. So it went back in with limited movement. Bolted steering wheel back on & put Capri emblem onto the centre of the steering wheel. Just about finished & looking good.


6/4/11      Bled all the brakes (again!) for a final time & they seem quite good. Did some painting touch ups & tried to get the RH wiper on. Finally after inserting a small lead washer, it seems to have fitted on correctly & is working All done & now waiting for the tow  truck which didn’t come due to his mistake. Now coming tomorrow.

7/4/11     After a bit over 6 months, the Red Capri returned home. It drove onto the back off the tow truck & into AY's yard. I spent a fair bit of time explaining various bit & pieces including what all the switches were for. It certainly looked a lot different to when it I first saw it. I suggested that AY have a safety inspection done as I had not been able to take it for a drive. I must admit I was happy to see it back with its owner & that over the time I had worked on it, there were no major incidents involving the car.
This is how it looked when it returned.








                                                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment