Tuesday 24 May 2011

Part 10 - More bits & pieces

10/3/11     I fitted the aluminium strips to top of both sides of front guards to cover all the weld holes & to make them a little more secure. Made a template to cover the front of the column switch area & glued black vinyl on it. Refitted & glued gear stick back into gear box using some special Selley’s plastic adhesive. Completed fitting front & rear carpets & fitted aluminium door sills.

                                                                                                           
12/3/11     Yesterday I picked up the brake booster (looks like new) & fitted it today. It wasn’t too bad a job this time as I knew how to get to the bolts right up at the top of the dash. Bolted back the master cylinder & guess what? Good brake pedal pressure, no air hissing & the engine doesn’t stall. I also put a new bush on the clutch pedal when I replaced it. Cut carpet to fit rear parcel tray area & then fitted it. It doesn’t look too bad & covers the rear area of the tray that has broken off. Tried to get windscreen wiper fittings on but the LH spindle doesn’t seem to want to go right through. I sprayed heaps of WD40 & will give it a bit more encouragement next time. I also need to get two rubber washers to fit around the bonnet holes.

14/3/11     Cleaned & painted air cleaner & four wheel rims. I visited Salisbury Wreckers mainly to get seat belts but belts not satisfactory for the price. Bought other bits & pieces  eg. chrome boot strip, washer units, door switches & horn. ($22).

16/3/11     It was a long day but pretty good progress was made. After days of trying to resolve the seat belt issue, I located two good sets (4 lap/sash & 1 lap) at the Wacol Wreckers. The whole lot cost $20 which was a good deal considering the other ones were $33 each & the cheapest new ones were $77 (with these, the total cost would have been something close to $385). Spent the afternoon, cleaning them & installing them in the car ready for the seats to be installed.

17/3/11     I fitted the rear seats & adjusted the seat belts. Bolted in both the back rest & bottom section. Next were the wipers. I finally managed to move the LH spindle right through & then fitted the rubber washers & chrome nuts to hold the external sections of the spindles. They are now all fixed & working but I still have to fit the actual wipers. Next were the washers. All the wires were connected but the stalk on the steering column resulted in no action. After another upside down sessions under the dash, I finally tracked the wires back to the fan switch. Turned the switch one way & the fan heater goes, turn the switch the other way & the washers started spraying water everywhere. Refitted the water container so that it did not keep falling off. Enlarged holes for washer units to fit through. Just need to get a few hose joiners to connect up the plastic hose. Also tracked back the horn wires but not quite sure how to connect it to the switch. Fitted horn under the bonnet to RH guard. The dash will need some labels. Fitted door switches & tried to fit black panel in front of radiator but it needs another coat of black paint before it goes on.
                                Note the different vinyl patterns on the back seat!  

18/3/11     I took the master cylinder back to Wynnum today to see if they can fix the very small leak that is on the side of the top plastic section. Also discovered that two of the serrated washers that the wipers fit on are missing. I will have to visit my friends from the Capri Club to see about these.

21/3/11     I spent a lot of time today for a few wins. I finally got the washers complete & working properly thanks to a smaller diameter hose & adjusting the jets. Then tried to get the “Kia” horn working. It worked directly off the battery but not off the wires coming from the dash. After a lot of stuffing around, I found that the lug on the back of the fuse box was loose & then fell off. I then had to source another power line as there was no way I was going to take off that fuse panel again. I eventually got it sorted with its own fuse & connected up to the button switch & it worked well. Drove to Wynnum to pick up master cylinder & refitted it.  I will need to bleed the brakes gain. Then spent some time under the dash & bonnet tidying up all the wiring & used quite a few plastic ties. I can’t seem to get the reversing lights working but I will have to check them out at the back end.

22/3/11     Another rather long frustrating day. I put in the centre console & front seat belt buckles. Took ages trying to locate the holes in the transmission tunnel. Put in the driver’s seat after having to buy some longer bolts & nuts to go through the carpets & the floor. Took ages getting in the four seat bolts.

23/3/11     Getting there! Fitted LH seat-all seats in now. Bled the brakes after refitting the master cylinder & they seem good with no leaks – touch wood. Fitted black panel at front of engine, sprayed coil black & redid the valve clearances resulting in the engine sounding a lot quieter. Tightened radiator & fitted choke connection. Next I have to work out how to fit the air cleaner & then just to a final going over.

No comments:

Post a Comment